27 Jul RHC Medical Assistant
Provides assistance with patient care in a clinic environment. Assists with providing a safe, clean setting for patients during their clinic visits. Utilizes appropriate equipment and resources under supervision of a physician or licensed staff member.
Shift(s): Hourly, Non-Exempt
Chain of Command: RHC Director or Chief Nursing Officer
Location(s): Memorial Hospital Seminole Hospital District
Physical and Mental Requirements
- extended periods of standing/ walking
- manual dexterity
- pushing pulling carts <300 lbs
- repetitive motion
- lifting/carrying >= 50 lbs.
- visual acuity
- hearing acuity
- occasionally highly stressful
- OHSA Blood Bourne Pathogens Class III
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
Licensure, Registry and Certifications
- None Required
Personal Job Related Skills
- Effective oral and written communications skills.
Prior Work Experience
- One year of experience in a medical setting preferred.
- None required
Provides clinic services and care for patients
- Takes and records blood pressure readings, weight, and length measurements.
- Assists physicians and prepares patients for various types of examinations and procedures.
- Applies or changes dressings as requested.
- Assists physician with minor surgical procedures performed in the clinic.
- Performs basic life support skills in an emergency situation.
- Follows aseptic procedures and universal precautions when involved in direct patient contact or handling potentially infectious materials.
Assists with maintaining patients’ files
- Prior to examination, obtains subjective information related to patients’ perception of health.
- Collects necessary information received concerning x-ray and laboratory reports, data from referring physicians, and surgical or other procedure reports for patient’s files
Maintains supplies and equipment.
- Insures that inventory of necessary supplies and equipment is maintained for diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Is responsible for stocking supplies in exam rooms and assures the cleanliness of the rooms.
- Cleans and sterilizes surgical instruments, labels the type of instrument and records the date.
Job Related Factors
- Communicates positively and respectfully to audience (coworkers, patients, physicians, and others)
- Performs required tasks without prompting and adjusts appropriately to situations.
- Adheres to the attendance policy.
- Follows District and Department Policies.
- Attends required meetings and in-services
- Participates in Hospital District Safety Program and QA Programs
- Uses time and resources wisely.
- Maintains HIPAA, keeping patient and hospital confidentiality
- Maintains adequate supplies of items needed to perform job, orders, or reports low items to supervisor.
- Practices proper phone etiquette, identifying self and department.
- Reports adverse events regarding patients, guests, or self to supervisor immediately.