14 Sep Director of Nursing Education
The Director of Nursing Education oversees the training of staff in patient care areas. Manages and supervises the education and preceptor program to assure optimal standards of patient care and nursing practice. Educates and performs staff development for all nursing departments and the Hospital District as needed. Evaluates and collaborates with other nursing directors to create department policy, procedures, and practices. Assists with management of nursing departments when necessary.
Pay Scale(s): Full-Time
Location(s): Seminole Hospital District
Supervises: This position manages the education and preceptor programs that apply to all nursing departments. As well assists in supervising nursing departments when needed.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- moderate periods of sitting/standing/walking
- pushing pulling
- lifting/carrying >= 50 lbs.
- visual acuity
- hearing acuity
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing required
Licensure, Registry and Certifications
- Current Texas RN license required
- BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC required
- Financial Management
- Business Acumen
- Project Management
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Ethical Conduct
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Strategic Thinking
- Communication Proficiency
Prior Work Experience
- Minimum of 5 years in bedside nursing with knowledge in multiple areas
- Minimum of 2 years in nursing leadership
- None required
Provides education, skills training, and evaluation to nursing and patient care staff. Collaborates with medical practitioners to incorporate nursing processes into the plan of care for patients. Performs direct nursing management and patient care services as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participates in setting standards
- Provides educational programs, including skills training and testing, to nurses and patient care staff.
- Develops a nursing preceptor program and follows up with preceptor and preceptee to ensure goals are being met.
- Assists patients and caregivers with educational needs, problem resolution, and health management across the continuum of care.
- Collaborates with medical providers, patient care staff, and unit management in the planning, implementation, and delivery of educational curricula.
- Initiates skills development programs within the parameters of established care models; monitors trends and implements educational strategies to ensure compliance with quality standards and parameters.
- Provides direct nursing management and patient care services to patients.
- Educates technical and patient care staff in the use of new equipment, supplies, and instruments; coordinates in-service training and workshops for appropriate staff.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Assists with the developing and maintenance of nursing practice that is consistent with the Nurse Practice Act for the State of Texas.
- Confers with the Director and other department staff members to establish standards of patient care and to describe and evaluate the overall delivery of patient care.
- Participates in or conducts visits to all nursing units as directed by the CCOO, analyzing and evaluating nursing and related services provided to patients.
- Assists with the monitoring and adjustment of patients environments to assure they are safe, therapeutic, and conducive to the recovery or comfort.
- Assists in the coordination of nursing care for all areas on all shifts and acts as a consultant to the staff.
- Documents situations, occurrences, and activities and reports unresolved or high interest occurrences to the CNO.
- Functions as a nursing resource for hospital personnel, Medical Staff, and outside agencies.
- Assist with the management of the Quality Assurance Program of the Department.
- Assists with the development of departmental policies, procedures, and practices consistent with hospital policy.
- Makes recommendations for purchases of supplies and equipment to support department operations.
- Participates in the Nursing Administration Call schedule.