13 Dec Patient Access Representative – Rural Health Extended Clinic
Patient Access Representative acts as a representative of the hospital in offering customer service to patients by demonstrating effective communication, responsiveness and sensitivity to others including but not limited to patients, family members, visitors, co-workers, and other persons in relation to all hospital functionality both in and out of the hospital. Provides insurance counseling to patients who are needing outpatient, inpatient, or surgical procedures done. Discusses hospital payment policies and helps patients apply for TX/NM Medicaid. Obtains authorizations for diagnostic testing, inpatient , physical/speech therapy, observation. English, Spanish and German speaking preferred, but all bi-lingual applicants will be considered
Chain of Command: RHC Director
Supervises: No One
Payscale: Hourly, Non Exempt
Shift Hours: Monday through Friday, 5:30pm to 10:00pm and alternating Saturday’s from 8:00am to 12:00pm
Physical and Mental Requirements
- extended periods of standing/ walking
- manual dexterity
- repetitive motion
- lifting/carrying >= 40 lbs.
- visual acuity
- hearing acuity
- occasionally highly stressful
- OHSA Blood Bourne Pathogens Class III
Types of Clients Served
- Adult (18-55 years) and Geriatric (>55 years)
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- 1-2 years of college preferred
Licensure, Registry and Certifications
- None Required
Personal Job Related Skills
- Ability Typing 45 wpm
- 10 key calculator keyboarding
- Familiarity with operating personal computers and basic office programs.
- Knowledge of general clerical duties.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions.
Prior Work Experience
- Medical office experience preferred
- None required
Processes patients for admissions.
- Secures and verifies necessary demographic, contact, payment, billing, and insurance information from patients or responsible parties making changes as needed to the Master Patient Index.
- Processes admission record based on orders from a physician.
- Obtains consent to treat and consent to bill third party for admissions and testing.
- Arranges for transportation to the appropriate inpatient or outpatient service area.
Secures required deposit, co payment, or insurance information.
- Verifies co-insurance and collects any copayments or deductibles.
- Reviews past records for delinquent accounts advises customer, and refers to supervisor if necessary.
- Assists uninsured patients in making appropriate financial arrangements.
Explains and arranges for inpatient, outpatient services or procedures
- Notifies appropriate departments of services and procedures ordered and schedules same.
- Informs patients of requested services or tests, and their appointment schedule.
- Routes patient to the appropriate department for pre procedure instructions or preparations.
- Verifies patients’ understanding of instructions and schedules.
- Introduces and explains the Hospital’s Special Delivery Club and Senior Club programs to ensure proper compliance as appropriate.
Distributes admission/registration records to appropriate departments.
- Reviews all records for completeness and accuracy.
- Provides records in a timely manner.
Performs duties in support of Business Office Functions
- Prepares patient daily census.
- Assigns diagnosis codes to outpatient accounts.
- Maintains patient folder files as needed.
- Accepts and processes over-the counter account and miscellaneous payments and issues receipts.
- Communicates positively and respectfully to audience (coworkers, patients, physicians, and others)
- Performs required tasks without prompting and adjusts appropriately to situations.
- Adheres to the attendance policy.
- Follows District and Department Policies.
- Attends required meetings and in-services
- Participates in Hospital District Safety Program and QA Programs
- Uses time and resources wisely.
- Maintains HIPAA, keeping patient and hospital confidentiality
- Maintains adequate supplies of items needed to perform job, orders, or reports low items to supervisor.
- Practices proper phone etiquette, identifying self and department.
- Reports adverse events regarding patients, guests, or self to supervisor immediately.