18 May Clerk Phlebotomist – PRN
Under the supervision of a laboratory manager, assists with obtaining specimens from patients and medical laboratory testing. Performs various clerical tasks to include utilizing the laboratory information system for logging, receiving lab specimens and preparing specimens for transport. Clerical responsibilities include answering telephones and providing necessary information to inquirer, scanning, printing and attaching cumulative summaries and pathology reports to patient accounts, faxing results, and accessioning inpatient and outpatient testing.
Payscale: Hourly, Non-Exempt, Call Pay, Callback Pay
Chain of Command: Clerk Phlebotomist, Medical Technologist, Director of Laboratory, Director of Nursing and Clinical Services, CEO
Location(s): Memorial Hospital
Physical and Mental Requirements
- moderate periods of sitting/standing
- manual dexterity
- pushing and pulling
- repetitive motion
- lifting/carrying >= 50 lbs.
- visual acuity
- hearing acuity
- occasionally highly stressful
- OHSA Blood Bourne Pathogens Class I
- High School diploma or equivalent
Licensure, Registry and Certifications
- Graduate of a recognized phlebotomy or medical assistant program
Personal Job Related Skills
- Ability to learn procedures involved in laboratory testing
Prior Work Experience
- One year prior medical setting experience preferred
- Trained in proper venipuncture techniques and exhibits competence by successfully performing at least 50 venipunctures under appropriate supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Assists with obtaining specimens from patients
- Under direction of a Laboratory Manager, follows requests for specimen testing as prescribed by physicians
- Draws and processes specimens promptly in compliance with established procedures
- Identifies and labels specimens properly.
Assits with the clerical and housekeeping functions of the department
- Files and retrieves patient’s charts and records
- Assists with checking out, faxing, and mailing of patient results
- ‘Properly completes patient information as directed
- Assists with cleaning of work areas and the general department area.
Job Related Factors
- Communicates positively and respectfully to audience (coworkers, patients, physicians, and others)
- Performs required tasks without prompting and adjusts appropriately to situations.
- Adheres to the attendance policy.
- Follows District and Department Policies.
- Attends required meetings and in-services
- Participates in Hospital District Safety Program and QA Programs
- Uses time and resources wisely.
- Maintains HIPAA, keeping patient and hospital confidentiality
- Maintains adequate supplies of items needed to perform job, orders, or reports low items to supervisor.
- Practices proper phone etiquette, identifying self and department.
- Reports adverse events regarding patients, guests, or self to supervisor immediately.